Wednesday, March 18, 2009

I AM-a-not-so-smug-CANADIAN-anymore

"Hey. I'm not a subprime mortgagee.

"Or one of Bernie Madoff's victims.

"And I don't live in a foreclosed house.

"I have a Prime Minister who says that, while American consumers bought into the idea that it was okay to live beyond their means, 'thankfully, Canadians, among few nations in the Western world, did not embrace this idea so recklessly.'

"I pronounce it RRSP. Not 401(k). (And I even managed to put a little money in this season.)

"I can proudly recount the latest profit statements from all five of Canada's biggest - and still solvent - banks. I believe in medicare, not screw the sick.

"A tuque is still a hat.

"A chesterfield is still a couch And it is still pronounced 'zed' not 'zee.'

"Canada is the second-largest land mass! The proud nation of Employment Insurance! And the best part of the North American economy, or what's left of it.

"My name is Joe! And I am a recession-hardy CANADIAN!"

*

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A tuque will always be a stocking cap to me.

Wed Mar 18, 09:54:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home