Thursday, April 24, 2008

Postive Message about Afghanistan

I am currently reading Blatchford's Fifteen Days. I took it on the plane with me on my recent trip home and I took it with me to the dentist appointment this afternoon. It has sparked some conversation with the strangers I meet.

The impression thus far I've had with the people to which I've spoken in the past few days is a lot of the negativity surround the mission.

It's unwinnable.

We will never be able to separate politics and religion in that end of the world.

We shouldn't be there.

I hope many people read this article in the Windsor Star that demonstrates, if we really saw what was going on, instead of what the MSM are telling us (which is mostly the negative stuff) we could see the progress we are making):

The success of the war that Canada is fighting in Afghanistan is going to depend on the intelligent use of weapons. But not the kind that kill people.

All Canada's automatic rifles and rockets and grenade launchers will have been wasted if Afghans don't soon gain access to the weapons they need the most: education, justice, and job opportunities.

When I entered Afghanistan with four other members of the Senate Committee on National Security and Defence last week, I had real doubts about Canadians fighting a war on behalf of a population so clearly in disarray - riddled with corruption, saddled with a medieval mindset and skewed by a drug trade running wild.

When I left Afghanistan four days later, my primary image was no longer of brave Canadians trying to prop up an ineffectual government and a hopeless society, and I believe my colleagues also came away with a different impression than we went in with.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nicol DuMoulin said...

I do not know if I agree that we should not be there as we initially went in after 9/11 where several Canadians were killed. I have no problem with the initial reasons why we were disposed to the region.

However, I do not entirely disagree with the notion that it is unwinnable. I think the word "win" is a very zero sum game word that avoids seeing how complicated the issue is. I agree with you that it is more about the culture change and that is something that cannot be done in a generation let alone a decade.

Then there are the ethical issues of whether or not we should impose our values (whatever they are these days) on foreign lands. The problem then becomes more complicated if we become more isolationist. Then what about giving funding and aid to poorer countries?

There are no easy answers and I think both the pro and anti "war" sides sometimes see things to unclearly.

By the way, you tagged me on my blog a while bag and I just got to posting it know. I actually have not checked my comments in over a month as things have been very busy. We are expecting our first any time now and the preparations have made tending to my blog very difficult.

Hope the summer is treating you well.

By the way...what does it mean to be tagged? I know I should know the answer to this.

Thu May 01, 11:07:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Nicol DuMoulin said...

Hey again,

Sorry, I think I mis-read your initial post. I read quickly and thought - you - were saying we shouldn't be there.

A quick re-read proves that is not the point.

Best.

Thu May 01, 04:19:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home