Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Honour Student Suspended for buying Skittles at School

Pssst....you want to buy some contraband? What's the kid pushing on your grade 8 son or daughter? Extacy? Pot? Booze? Cigarettes? Nope....Skittles! That's right, Skittles.

You know, that hopped up leprechan telling you to taste the rainbow. Hmmm...something told me he was up to no good:

School spokeswoman Catherine Sullivan-DeCarlo said the New Haven school system banned candy sales in 2003 as part of a districtwide school wellness policy.

Michael's suspension was reduced from three days to one, but he has not been reinstated as class vice president.

Superintendent Reginald Mayo said Wednesday the principal was just trying to keep students safe, but he would review the decision to suspend Michael.

File this under Education policy at its worst. This is the problem with administrators running our policies.

What's next? Have you had your trans fat quota for the week? Yes childhood obesity is a problem, but banning products isn't the solution. How about we put more gym back into the curriculum (instead of worrying about everyone's feeeeeelings about feeling included in gym class). As someone who hopes to work in education policy, I hope we can learn from these rediculous cases (this one is by no means an isolated incident) and see how one policy causes more problems.

5 Comments:

Blogger hunter said...

I see the candy police strike again. Liberalism, it's a disease, and this is a perfect example of why.

Good God in heaven, banned for skittles? Honour student and Vice President of the Student Council? Right skittles bad, knifes, drugs, and guns, not so much.

Thu Mar 13, 12:50:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Nicol DuMoulin said...

When I was in Grade 7 and 8 my mother used to always pack me twinkies for lunch. I never really had a sweet tooth as I was more into chips and peanuts...things that were salted.

There was a girl who sat across from me whose family forbade her to eat sweets. She was very nice and once day she was craving a twinkie badly and said she would give me 50 cents for it.

For the next stretch, I was her twinkie supplier. I earned 50 cents a day. Given that the average box of twinkies at the time was 1.99 and contained 6 twinkies I think I made a tidy profit.

Thu Mar 13, 08:22:00 AM EDT  
Blogger JeffDG said...

Nicol hit the nail on the head, I think.

This has nothing to do with safety, health or any of that professed nonsense.

The "dealer" made a profit by providing goods to someone. Profit, for liberals, is a four letter word (don't ever try and confuse a liberal with facts, like profit has 6 letters!), and everyone who was aware of entrepreneurship must be expunged!

Thu Mar 13, 09:39:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Spitfire said...

Hunter,

"candy police" versus Jerry Seinfeld's stand up routine that talks about a child's entire existence is about "Get candy, get candy, get candy." I wonder what these kids do at Hallowe'en?

Nicol,

Lol, I had a similar experience. I wasn't allowed 'bad' snacks like fruit rolls ups or gushers, but some of my fellow students did, and at 8 years old, was super jealous. In grade 3, I caught a girl cheating on her Dictée (dictation) and I told her if she gave me her fruit roll ups the next day, I wouldn't tell the teacher....Thankfully my price for whistleblowing has changed. Thanks for sharing your story.

Jeff Dg,

This is what happens when you ban things, you create an underground market for them. I know there are people stocking up on incandescents now prior to the ban. I wouldn't be surprised if some of these stockers will turn a profit on those who love the other bulb!

Thank you for your comments.

Thu Mar 13, 10:43:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

cotta watch that sugar. they might become conservatives.

Fri Mar 14, 03:05:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home