Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Where have all of the (American) Support our Troops Ribbons Gone?

I recently returned from a vacation in Boston, MA. We drove down going through NY state. On our way down there was one Support our Troops Ribbons. On our return, we saw only two.

Why am I so shocked?

Two years ago, in February 2005, I travelled to Atlantic City, NJ. We also drove down, driving through NY state, Pennsylvania and New Jersey. At that time, I was shocked with the number of decals on almost every vehicle on the road!

What happened in two years?

According to media critic/Washington Post reporter Howard Kurtz, we should look at network nightly newscasts.

Kurtz, who has written a book on the subject, asserted, "I believe that these newscasts in 2005 and 2006 played the biggest single role in helping to turn public opinion against the war."

If you read the entire transcript, Cuomo and Kurtz appear to brag about the media's ability to turn Americans against the war in Iraq.

In Canada, while support for the war is controversial (so controversial, that a reporter was suspended for supporting the troops), I see more Support our Troops ribbons on cars than I've seen in my recent travels to the US. Depending on what city I'm in it could be 1 in every 10th car has a decal, while in more military towns, (e.g. Petawawa, Trenton) I notice decals on 1 in 4 cars.

5 Comments:

Blogger McGuire said...

Part of the reason may have to do with where you are. I can't say i'm surprised to hear about this happening in the NE. If you were in the Midwest or the South, it'd be a different story.

Wed Jan 09, 03:06:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you see any place in the US where you could buy the Support our Troops ribbons?

I could be wrong, however, if only a handful of stores are selling them, maybe the person who would be likely to buy one simply cannot find a seller.

Wed Jan 09, 03:12:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In Canada, while support for the war is controversial (so controversial, that a reporter was suspended for supporting the troops), I see more Support our Troops ribbons on cars than I've seen in my recent travels to the US.

I live in Canada and I don't see any.

Why don't you just say what you mean...you'd like to see more yellow stickers?

Wed Jan 09, 07:00:00 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to agree with spitfire. My trip to the US has yielded the same observation. Although it would be nice to see more yellow stickers on cars (and less people stealing them off cars), I am sure this article was asking the question where all the yellow stickers have went and not a personal opinion.

Nice post Spitfire

Thu Jan 10, 04:10:00 PM EST  
Blogger Spitfire said...

Mcguire,

I am aware that New England/North Eastern USA is much more liberal (see Gareau's Nine Nations of North America . My point was, where did all the ribbons go that I saw two years ago.

Peter,

Thanks for your compliments.

I actually don't know where one would buy a SoT ribbon in the USA. Here in Canada it's usually at a Canex or MFRC (Military Family REsource CEntre). If you're not close to someone in the military, it's actually difficult to buy one or find a place that sells them in Canada, because only a handful of places actually do sell them. Perhaps in the US, a few years ago they were sold everywhere, but I am unsure.

More to the point, I am arguing (as you seem to understand more in your second comment) that it's not about supply but rather demand. The supply exists, I saw the majority of cars along my 12 hour drive across New England have ribbons. Where did they all go? Did people throw them out? Get them stolen? Changed their sentiment towards the war.

Thank you for your comments.

Anon,

It depends where you live perhaps. I live in Ontario and have spend a lot of time in London, Peterborough, Belleville, Trenton, Ottawa and Pembroke in the past year. In cities like Ottawa, Peterborough and London I see ribbons on 1 in every 10 or so cars. While, in military towns like Trenton and Pembroke it's usually 1 in every 4 cars will have ribbons.

Thu Jan 10, 06:56:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home