Thursday, August 09, 2007

Driving....It's the Culture...

Just want to draw your attention to an article in the G&M today:



I completely disagree for a variety of reasons, but do not have time to elaborate today because I'm writing a final exam at 5:30 but I will post my comment that I left on the website:

I frequently drive from Ottawa to London and I agree with many of the comments above regarding speed limits in Germany and cost of time. My biggest complaint is DRIVERS WHO HOG THE PASSING/LEFT LANE!!!!!!!

I will admit I drive at a high speed (130-140kmh) but I've also never been in a car accident, never had a speeding ticket, and consider myself a very safe driver. Why?

I refuse to pass on the right or weave in and out of lanes because that is dangerous and more likely to cause accidents. However, if someone is going 105kmh in the passing lane and I have my left blinker on (a signal used in Germany to indicate that you want to pass) and they do not move over what else can I do? You can try flashing your lights, honking, or signaling with your hand (politely) to move over, but many people just don't get it that it's a passing lane.

Want to help the cause of getting people out of the left/passing lane? Use your left turning signal to indicate you want to pass and hopefully it will catch on. I've been doing it for about two years now and I have seen an increase in people doing it!

3 Comments:

Blogger Raphael Alexander said...

I just posted an article about my feelings on speeding and quite frankly it is people like yourself who make a mockery of our speed laws. You may say you are a good driver, and that's well and fine, and also rather irrelevant. The fact is that it irritates me when I drive in the right lane at the normal speed limit and I see cars whipping by in the left. Why the rush? If you need to get to Ottawa so quickly take another form of approved rapid transit. Until the Ontario government reforms laws to make the 401 the autobahn, I don't agree with speeding.

I've been as fast as 120 kph many times, but quite frankly I don't understand the need for people to exceed this number. I think it's a combination of powerful cars and foolish and wishful thinking that this speed will not have dire results.

Thu Aug 09, 12:34:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Spitfire said...

Hi Raphael,

Thanks for your comments.

I am not sure if I can agree that it is speeders like myself who "make a mockery of our speed laws". I would put forth the proposition that perhaps it's the law enforcement officers who mock our speed laws if they rarely pull anyone over on the highway for going between 1-20km over the speed limit.

Why the rush? Having always lived in Ontario I guess I have been socialized to the fast-paced speed at which life travels. Having also travelled out in the Maritimes I see the difference at the pace in life.

The speed of the culture in which you live also reflects (I would argue) on other aspects of life such as the level of patience, ambitiousness, aggressiveness, and perhaps even productivity.

I'm not saying that this Go-Go-Go lifestyle is "right" or "better" because I wish I was more patient and could enjoy a slower speed of life.

Why the rush? My partner and I of three years are currently living in different cities and see each other only every other weekend.

The train and bus are a far cry from "rapid transit" and a plane a little too expensive on a student budget. Our country is so large and yet our transportation system, whether it be subway, train, or vehicular does not take after our European cousins who have high-speed transportation systems.

Thu Aug 09, 01:33:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Q said...

Spitfire

I was driving to the airport this morning at 6:00 along the QEW and some idiot was doing 75 kph in the middle lane.

I wish he had been arrested.

Q

Thu Aug 09, 04:41:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home