Monday, July 09, 2007

Dragon Fruit Adventures


So while grocery shopping once last week I saw this fruit and thought to myself, "What a cool looking fruit, I wonder what these taste like". So I bought it. I glanced up at the price and thought it was $2.99 each (a little pricey, but worth the exotic experience). Actually my receipt read that I just spent $6.42 on a piece of fruit. "This better be good" I thought to myself.

Not knowing what the fruit was, whether it had a big pit in the middle like an avocado or mango, I couldn't cut it open without doing a little bit of research.

By doing this research, however, I spoiled the surprise as I am about to do for you, with what it looks like on the inside. I learned that the Dragon Fruit is also known as the Pitaya or Strawberry Pear and is from the cactus family.

You can read about how something tastes, but it's not the same until you taste it for yourself. So I cut it in half and ate it like a kiwi. I would agree with the Wikipedia writers that it resembles a kiwi with crunchy seeds.

Overall, I was very disappointed. I did not exjoy the texture of the crunchy seeds and I found the flesh of the fruit to be almost tasteless. Definitely not worth 6$ nor will I be buying the fruit again; however, I now can say that I have tried Dragonfruit, a cheap life experience.

2 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

It might be worth buying one to preserve and put on your coffee table, if for no other reason that the conversations it would inspire.

Tue Jul 10, 05:45:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Jarrett said...

Tch. I could've told you dragonfruit wasn't worth it if you had asked... It's like an expensive showy kiwi. Buy some rambutans next time, or a maracuja if you can. Those are worth it. Or if you want to go a little more expensive, try mangosteens. Or ataulfo mangoes.

I love July here. Everything's in season. The best BC cherries are cheaper here than they are on the roadsides of the Okanagan, for some reason. :)

Fri Jul 13, 04:58:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home