Sunday, July 15, 2007

Adventure Racing

I have a list of things I want to do before I die. One of them is to compete in an adventure race.

Growing up I never like sports, I just couldn't enjoy the concept of chasing after a ball. Sure there is skill, technique, and strategy involved, but it just didn't do it for me.

I was 15 when I joined Army Cadets. It wasn't before long that I was leading teams whether it be flag party, National Star Certification Exam, or the Army Cadet Challenge. I enjoyed map and compass, orienteering, canoeing and rapelling.

Around this time I started watching the Discovery Channel Eco-Challenge. That year it was 2002 Fiji, and unfortunately USA Network did not renew the show's contract. This is when I wrote down my goal that I wanted to compete in an adventure race at least once in my life.

Well, like they say, there is no time like the present. I recently started downloading and watching old episodes of Eco-Challenge, which has renewed my interest in making this happen. I still like canoeing, mountain biking, map and compass, but have only done them out of leisure.

So I've decided that for the next year I'm going to train to take part in a 24-hour adventure race. I've decided on the Quest for Cure 2008. I don't have a team yet, but I have joined Adventure Racing in Ottawa Web Forum and should learning more about it all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home