Monday, May 28, 2007

Attention Contact Lens Users! (Updated again)

I just found out about a voluntary recall by the company who makes Complete Moisture Plus contact lens solution. They are recalling it because of patients who have developed a rare eye infection. This is the lens solution that I use and I just went to the doctor yesterday for a problem of pain in my eye.

No word if solution bought in Canada is affected by the recall. Just want to be cautious and get the word out!

Update 1: Financial Post (through Reuters) has published the story but with no new information. I've called AMO Canada and there is no information on their automated voice mail system.

I've been having trouble finding information because the same company recalled the same product in November. Therefore, information online (such as lot numbers) is outdated, only posting the ones they recalled in November. It seems that there has been a dramatic increase in the eye infection Acanthamoeba kertitis with over 50 per cent of people using AMO Moisture Plus products

The company also put in the recall late Friday of a long weekend in the USA, so more information will likely be slow going. It should also be pointed out that Bausch and Lomb did a "voluntary market withdrawl" of their contact lens solution last April. In any case, I won't be wearing my contact lenses for a little while.

If you have any of the following symptoms it is advised you see a health care provider: Eye pain, eye redness, blurred vision, sensitivity to light, sensation of something in the eye, or excessive tearing.

Update 2: Ok, I called AMO Canada (1-866-863-3873 or 905-305-3300) and they are affected by the recall as well. If you want a refund for your products call this number 1-888-899-9183 to get a retun kit to you. They will ask you to spell your name, address etc... because it's USA they ask you to use to key pad to put in your zip code, so just make sure you say your postal code after you give your city and province.

I also had a medical question but because it's Memorial Day in the US I couldn't get through to speak with anyone. Your best bet it to see your Canadian doc :-)

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I didn't know that. I use that stuff too and have been having problems recently with both dryness and pain.

I've been searching for a few minutes and found the AMO Canada office number 905.305.3300 since I tried to phone the call number on the AMO USA website to get a return kit but I don't have a 5 digit zip code. Of course the AMO Canada line didn't have any information when I called but they are open on monday and I intend to find out what to do then.

Sun May 27, 01:11:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Matt said...

I also use it. Thank you kindly and keep us updated.

Sun May 27, 01:26:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wondered if the Canadian MSM had reported this. It was on the Hong Kong news Saturday night. All of this FDA approved solution was taken off the shelves in HK. Wonder why Canadian Bush bashing MSM didn't report it. Of course it is made in the gay paradise of California.

Don't forget HK is 12 hrs ahead of Ottawa so they have no excuse. It was reported that the FDA sqaid it made people blind.

Sun May 27, 01:42:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try this link

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2007-05/26/content_6156833.htm

Sun May 27, 01:45:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is what I have been using the last few months and two weeks ago I started having several problems.

I did contact my optometrist right away, was told not to wear my contacts until I get in for an exam, just happens to be this afternoon.

Could be just a coincidence? I will find out.

Saw an interview about this issue on Canada AM this morning but there is no link on their webstie. I find that surprising since they usually put that stuff up once it has been on the show. The "expert" said that not only must the solutition be discarded but also any lenses and cases that have come in contact with the solution.

This should be getting more play in the major media, how many people still don't know??

Mon May 28, 12:07:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is included in the return kit?

Mon May 28, 09:36:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Spitfire said...

I'm not sure, will post when it comes in the mail. I'm guessing postage and a box to return used and unused solution.

Mon May 28, 09:37:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Matt said...

The following from aChannel:
http://www.achannel.ca/ottawa/news_23741.aspx



Contact Lens Solution Recall

(May 28, 2007) Advanced Medical Optics Inc. is voluntarily recalling its Complete All-in-One Moisture Plus contact lens solution.

The product has been sold throughout Canada. Anyone with the product is asked to stop using it immediately. The solution cause eye infections.

Contact lens wearers should consult their eye doctors is they have eye pain, eye redness, blurred vision, sensitivity to light, sensation of something in the eye and excessive tearing.

Symptoms may not be the same for everyone.

For more information call 1-866-492-6019.

Mon May 28, 11:25:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now the company is blaming it on incorrect use of the lenses. Like showering or swimming in your contacts.
http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/20070529/eye-infection.htm

I don't do that and my eyes still hurt like hell. On my way to the doc this afternoon

Tue May 29, 11:13:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home