Saturday, April 07, 2007

Still Waiting....

Alright, so I will be a grad student come September. What remains to be decided is if it will be at Queen's or at Carleton.

So when I applied to grad school I applied for Public Policy/Administration, but in case I didn't get in (I'm a Sociology and Canadian Studies major, not politics or economics), I applied for an MA in Sociology at both Carleton and UWO.

Western accepted me right away. I got an email Feb 15th saying I got in. I was offered $16,500.

Carleton (Sociology) accepted me next, but only offered $2000.

Carleton (Public Administration) accepted me next, but only offered a $1500 graduate scholarship

So then I was trying to figure out, do I really need an MA in Public Policy to become a policy analyst when the UWO program has a specialization in program and policy evaluation. I finally decided that I was sick of Sociology, the theories, the mentality, the marxist-feminism. I was sick of it all. No more Sociology for me.

But could I live on $1500?

I was in contact with the Public Admin program at Carleton and they told me to tell them about my other offers. I told them about Western and about Carleton Soci. I was emailed back that they could offer me a $2000 departmental scholarship. Now, does this sound different than a "graduate scholarship"? I assumed with was in addition to the $1500, but I emailed back to make sure. Nope not $3500, but $2000.

Yet another kick in the pants from Carleton.

At this point, I've had a crummy experience with this school. I had problems with their application deadline changing twice times, their website being completely out of date and now this. But it's in Ottawa, and I want to get into federal government. And it's Public policy, and I haven't heard back from Queen's at this point. Queen's has told me they will let me know end of March to early April.

On Wednesday I get an email from Carleton Sociology (Because I don't have any stamps, I didn't send in the 'refuse offer of admission' form yet). They offered to double my scholarship to $4000 and offered me two years of TAship (Teaching Assistant) at $9085x2 years!….22,000 is looking mighty nice. But I know that I don’t want to do Sociology any more….

When I applied to Carleton’s Public Admin program, I had to fill out an application for employment. They asked me if I wanted to work internal or external to the department. I, wanting to appear loyal checked the box, that I wanted to work internal, even though I would be more comfortable leading a Sociology 100-level class over Politics-100. Especially since I didn’t take politics 100. That got me thinking, maybe that’s why I haven’t been offered a TAship. Really, what would I teach?

So I contacted the Carleton Public Admin program again and told them about my offer. I also told them that, even though I checked the box ‘internal’ that I am flexible to work external as well. I was emailed back that she would see what she could do and would get back to me as soon as possible. This being a long weekend, I will not get my answer as quick as I would like.

The problem is, Carleton (Public Admin) wants a tuition deposit in their office by April 15th (again, not proofreading anything, this is a Saturday) or else they will refuse the offer of admission, even though I should have 45 days since the offer (which would give me until May 5th.

Meanwhile, Queen’s is now saying within the first two weeks of April, I should year. I’m checking my online app twice a day and my mail box once a day. If I’m rejected I get a mailed letter, if I’m emailed or my online login says “offer” I’m in. So far, neither. Again long weekend, so mail is going to be super slow….

This is torture.

Also because I have to find a place to live for May 1st, I even know what city I’m going to be in.

I spent the last four years working my butt off to pay for my education on my own without any financial help from family. I made sacrifices like not having a car, no laptop, no iPod, no new clothes, no going out to the bar. After 4 years, I think I deserve a car. In addition, my boyfriend may not be living in the same city as me. I’ve been quite lucky that he’s driven me anywhere I need to go, grocery shopping etc… in the last three years. Question is, will I be able to afford a car?

In the meantime, I have four papers and 1 exam until I’m done my undergraduate degree!


Blogger Road Hammer said...

I'm a manager in the federal government, and I can tell you this: if you want to get in there after you are done your Masters, the best thing to do is to take a co-op program, especially if you don't speak French.
Once you get in there, and prove yourself, you can be bridged into a full-time position. My advice would be to bite the bullet now and take out a loan or two if you have to as long as you will be doing co-op because it will pay for itself in the long run.

Sat Apr 07, 03:11:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Spitfire said...

Road Hammer,

Thanks for the advice. I am bilingual, and both Carleton and Queen's have Co-op programs, but clearly, being right in Ottawa would better!

Thanks again!!


Sat Apr 07, 03:14:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Couldn't get into a real school, huh?

Sat Apr 07, 04:00:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Road Hammer said...

I see someone from the University of Waterloo is hiding behind their keyboard today.

Sat Apr 07, 04:03:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Jarrett said...

At least you have the option of the $22,000. And another week to think it over.

I hate making decisions, so I can't imagine how much this infuriates you. Ah, well, tant pis.

Mathematically, I've only really got 2 "real" exams to study for, and I've locked myself down to get that stuff out of the way...

But I'm also pretending that I'm busy so I don't have to go to a massive party held chez La Blonde tonight. If you need me to help you with any of those papers (proofing or whatever), just gimmie a ring or msg me or whatever. Sure beats reading about Warren Harding.

Sat Apr 07, 04:52:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Frank Cybulski said...

Interesting that Carleton offered you so little - I was offered $10000 to come there right out of high school... but turned it down for higher tuition and no scholarship at StFX. I would have assumed their graduate grants would be as generous as their undergraduate, but your experience would seem to indicate otherwise.

Sat Apr 07, 05:04:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Spitfire said...

Actually the Anon who left the -oh-so-polite comment works for Stentor National Integrated Communications Network out of Mount Uniacke, Nova Scotia.

Sat Apr 07, 05:57:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home