Monday, January 22, 2007

I'm going to be really poor next year....

Donations for next year's graduate tuition, rent, books now being accepted. So much for buying a car....Operators are standing by....

Dear Applicant,

As you know, the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) requires universities to pre-select applications for the Master's * CGS competition. The Council has assigned Trent University a limited quota that can be forwarded to Ottawa for evaluation by the SSHRC national selection committees.

Due to the quantity of applications from Trent graduate students for the 2007-08 SSHRC Master's - CGS competition, the Graduate Sub-Committee on Scholarships (Social Science and Humanities) had to meet and select the applications to be forwarded. As a result of the departmental ranking and the internal Graduate Sub-Committee ranking meeting, your application was unfortunately not recommended for advancement in this year's competition.

The Office of Graduate Studies would like to thank you for your interest in this program, and would like you to know that we appreciate the time and effort you took to submit an application. Your application will remain complete and on file in our office as per competition procedure.

Sincerely yours,



I am very proud of my undergraduate accomplishments. I paid for my undergrad education completely on my own with no help from my parents. But because I chose to go away for school, I've dried up all of my savings and I have a bit of OSAP debt. I was hoping that I would have a chance at this $17,500 scholarship for grad school next year.

I've been talking to other graduate students and I was told that getting this scholarship is kind of a crap shoot and that it has a lot of office politics that go with it. Even so, I was thinking that I at least had a chance to get past the Trent competition. Turns out out of all the applicants Trent is only allowed to submit 10 towards the national competition.

I was hoping to buy a car next year and perhaps even a laptop, but looks like that's out. Hopefully the schools to which I am applying will award me a TAship, it's peanuts compared to these external scholarships, but worth a shot anyway.

All of my applications are done, now the waiting game and letting fate decide my future.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jarrett said...

No beer money for you!

Meh, I'm sure you'll be fine. Too bad about the scholarship, though.

Mon Jan 22, 11:25:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home