Wednesday, December 20, 2006

If I ruled the country for a day...or two

I would create a graduated licencing system for the use of alcohol. You take driver's Ed to learn to drive a car. I think you have to take a course to learn how to drink. Now it's not what you think.

Yesterday, I spent about 25 minutes in the LCBO yesterday walking up and down the aisles trying to figure out what bottle of wine to purchase. I hate just sticking to one bottle/country/grape that I like. Problem is, I don't know the difference between anything. I know I like chardonnay and merlot....but I've had Shiraz and Sovignion blanc too and they're not bad.

I remember George and I had dinner at Red Lobster a few years ago and I asked the server for a wine recommendation with what I was having. It was a beautiful match. My palate remembers the wonderful experience. I wished I was able to do that.

I want to know more about wine. Sure, there are books, but this is actually something I rather not read it about. I want people to tell me about it.

I actually ended up just picked a bottle a random. It was a Chardonnay from France and it was actually rather good! But the Russian roulette I play it's no fun. I want to know the differences between the grapes, how to pair them with what I'm eating, etc...

For a Christmas present, I was thinking about asking George about this wine course going on at Fleming College in the new year. But it's over $200 each and being 4th year students, who plan to apply to grad school in January....In addition, it's 3 hours per week for almost four months! That's a long time! Then again, this as a gift would be more practical than diamond earrings, or frames to put on the wall...

5 shopping days left...

1 Comments:

Blogger Robert W. said...

Your posting reminds me of an idea I had way-back-when to make wine reviews (from real people) available via one's cel phone. Though whether one would pay for such a service is a big question mark!

Sun Dec 31, 02:19:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home