Sunday, December 31, 2006

Have a SAFE New Year's Eve

Hello all!

I just want to wish you a safe new Year's Eve tonight. Four years ago I was almost hit by a drunk driver on New Year's Eve.

I was coming home from working at the convention centre at 3:30am. Me and a friend were on our way to a breakfast party with staff from our work. Just three blocks from my own house, I was driving down a main street. When a car, turning left to come onto the street on which I was driving (going in the opposite direction) turned onto the street. Problem was whoever was driving turned, not into their lane, but rather were driving in my lane, coming straight at me. I had about a second to think about what to do. Even though there were no other cars on the road at the time, my instinct was not to swerve into the on-coming traffic lane (the lane that bastard should have been in). Thankfully there was a right-hand turning lane into a townhouse complex that I quickly swerved into.

Dan and I were quite shaken up. I was only 18 and he was 17 at the time. By the time we thought about getting a license plate, he or she was already out of sight. Not knowing what to do at the time, we also realized too late that I should have called 911 to report the car. I just hope this car didn't hurt anyone else, but I guess I'll never know.

I don't mean to make this too dramatic, but I do want everyone to know that it can happen to you. I'm sure you're smart enough to make the decision not to drink and drive, but not everyone else is. If you're on the road tonight, be extra alert.

I hope to see you all in 2007.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home