Friday, December 29, 2006

Graduate School Applications

I would just like to say a word about my experience with grad school applications. I'm not going to name names (especially if they somehow find this blog). But why is it a guessing game with some school's application package?

I'm filling out the generic online application form. Next I determine what I need to do for supplementry documents (letters of reference, letter of intent, writing sample etc...). This certain school indicates on the online application that there are no additional documents needed, while the program indicates there is a list of additional documents I need to send them. But on top of al this, this list is vague (no word/page limit)

Why are there different instructions. One page will say that my referees must return letters of reference to me, while another part of the website will say that letters of reference must go directly to the department. WHAT THE HELL? In addition, why are there three different deadlines for the same application? Of course I will complete my application by the first date, but for goodness sake, be clear!

Also, numerous spelling and grammatical errors on your website are unprofessional and disappointing. It makes me not want to go to this school to see how disorganized the process is. At the same time I really want to be in this city. Is it really worth it though?

I don't expect to be spoon-fed (like we were when applying as undergraduates). At the same time, it's a little frustrating to be wasting time trying to search for what I need to complete the application instead of being able to work on the documents needed to complete the application.

As a result of this experience, I'm really hoping I be accepted to the other school's Public Administration program. Your loss!

1 Comments:

Blogger Robert W. said...

The reason my views are mostly libertarian is because I absolutely detest bureaucracies. They're incompetent, uncaring, and did I mention incompetent?! :-)

You are facing but one small example in your life of an incompetent bureaucracy. University bureaucracies are among the worst because they're often pompous asses on top of their incompetence!

Best of luck, whichever school you go to. And they should thank their lucky stars to have you as a student. For a 22-year old Canadian who hasn't been brainwashed by the Liberal Kool-Aid is a rare, rare person!

Sun Dec 31, 02:09:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home