Monday, November 06, 2006

Military Life, Soldiers and Poppies

As you've probably noticed if you're a regular reader of my blog, I have a fair interest in the military. Having Canadian Forces members on both sides of my family, and being an army cadet myself several years ago, I have an appreciation and curious interest in the military.

I know what a PMQ is, I've eaten an IMP, I've been in several Remembrance Day parades and I've volunteered at a Veteran's hospital. I've slept it a hoochie, made a latrine and found a love for bag pipes. I walk in step with other people, I know how to use a map and compass (even calculate declination). I've done rifle drill with a C7, and a 22 and I've shot both as well. I've shone boots, riden in a CF-130 to Germany and eaten in the Yukon Galley. I've been to "Mudford", "Boredom" and "Pet". Hell, I was born in Trenton and conceived in Lahr. In between all of this I was also a bartender for the Officers' Mess and so I have served Ocdts to Generals and veterans as well. I can still tell you the beer of choice of the COs of all three regiments in London.

I've decided that wearing my poppy for about 10 days in November is not enough. Last year I wanted to wear my poppy all year round. But those darn things kept falling of my back pack. So I used a small Canadian pin, to hold it in. Nope, lost that one too. So this year I've super glued the pin to its backing on my back pack and hope that I can make it last.

All of this about thoughts were conjured after reading an excellent piece from Celestial Junk about soldiers today in reference to all the flack about Kerry's comment last week. (In case you've been living under a rock, or had piles of assignments/midterms/work/family and didn't hear: What was the remark? "You know, education, if you make the most of it, you do your homework and you make an effort to be smart, you can do well. And if you don't, you get stuck in Iraq."

Those who perish while on missions are volunteers who have chosen their profession. Even though they are someone’s children and parents and lovers, they are adults as well. They have overcome the many hurdles put in their path by the military itself, as it seeks to weed out those who are not intellectually and physically capable in playing a part in the post-modern military. They are where they want to be, for a number of reasons, not the least of which is a deep love for the Western way of life.


Read the rest here

Lest We Forget

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home