Monday, June 05, 2006

Want To Win an Argument? Feed Your Opponent Coffee!

So it's a warm summer afternoon and you and a coworker go get some fresh air and take a break from the project on which you are working. You're in the middle of a discussion of what you should do about XYZ issue. You think you should solve it a certain way, while your partner thinks you should solve it another way. Want to get your way? Suggest when you get fresh air that you get a coffee. Why? Scientists are saying that the caffeine may make you more pursuasive.

The coffee you drink as a pick-me-up in the morning could also make you more open to persuasion, researchers say. Evidence from a new study suggests that this happens because caffeine revs up the brain, not because it generally boosts mood.

Previous studies have show that consuming caffeine can improve one’s attention and enhance cognitive performance, with 200 milligrams (equivalent to two cups of coffee) being the optimal dose.

Moderate doses of caffeine can also make you more easily convinced by arguments that go against your beliefs, say Pearl Martin of the University of Queensland in Brisbane, Australia, and her colleagues.
[...]

Source: New Scientist

1 Comments:

Blogger Canadianna said...

I'm a tea drinker myself, and I'd probably agree to anything just to get a cup in the morning.
I think I'm going to have to start spiking the orange juice with coffee so my kids will be more easily persuaded to get their behinds out the door.

I haven't forgotten the SSM paper. I've been busy, but I want to give you a proper comment beyond 'wow, this is really good.'

Mon Jun 05, 11:17:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home