Friday, June 16, 2006

FLASHBACK FRIDAY: I Always Knew I Was Unique

I wrote this post in January of this year. I love going to the hairdresser, and showing off that, yes this colour is natural.

I Always Knew I Was Unique:

Thanks for my great friend Jane, who pointed this article out to me.

If predictions by the Oxford Hair Foundation come to pass, the number of natural redheads everywhere will continue to dwindle until there are none left by the year 2100.

The reason, according to scientists at the independent institute in England, which studies all sorts of hair problems, is that just 4 percent of the world's population carries the red-hair gene. The gene is recessive and therefore diluted when carriers produce children with people who have the dominant brown-hair gene.

Dr. John Gray's often publicized explanation of his foundation's findings: "The way things are going, red hair will either be extremely rare or extinct by the end of the century."

In less than 100 years redheads might not exist. :-( My roommate Emma got me this cute book for Christmas.

I remember when I was 8 years old walking up Tomkins Avenue on my way to the Beckers need my house to get 5 cent candies, a kid about my age was walking in the direction towards me and asked if I dyed my hair. I remember that I toss my head to the side, flipped my hair and said, "No it's natual". I was a drama queen at an early age ;)

To be a red head you need to have the gene on both sides of your family. I know that it was my mom's dad's parent's who both had red hair, but no one knows who had it on my dad's side. It must really go way back! those recesive genes. And unless George has it on his side (Greek and British) then the buck stops here and I can't pass the gene on. And we really will become extinct.

But I will always be a spitfire ;)

1 Comments:

Blogger Nicol DuMoulin said...

Nice post! May the spitfire keep rollin' on!

Glad you joined the blog community.

Fri Jun 16, 12:32:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home