Thursday, June 08, 2006

Canadian Media

I'm taking a 400 level media course (full year) in the fall and I am very much looking forward to it. I've always been interested in media studies, and at one time I wanted to become a journalist. However I really disliked the reporter mentality of 'get the story' or 'if it bleeds, it leads'. I wanted to study the media. How it is produced, who has the power, etc... How media affects us, how words are used to manipulate and change the framing of a story.

So instead of making media/journalism studies in University, I wanted to take more sociological approach to media. I had enrolled at Trent for Cultural Studies, but the department is an artsy fartsy joke. I quickly changed my major to Sociology, and picked up Canadian Studies along the way.

I do not received the newspaper, I read the headlines online, so I missed this, but Stephen Taylor makes an excellent observation of two different drafts of the cover of the National Post. I really would like to know where he got the draft!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home